Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fabulous Floral Favor

Well, I did a little wedding shopping this weekend! I only have a few of the required parts for each project I'm working on so far, so I can't really get started on too many of them yet. However, I have started on the favors!

We initially planned to do a place-card/favor bag combo, but it didn't seem quite right. Then we had the idea to use shot glasses filled with candy. After some time spent calling local vendors for pricing info on glass shot glasses, and learning that they were way expensive, even when purchased in bulk, we decided to go the plastic route. Some were too small, some were too cheap (as in, reviewers said they arrived broken or chipped), and some were just too cheesy! But then we found the most fabulous pink and orange shot glasses - 2 oz, the perfect favor size!

We actually purchased them at a local party supply store, Bartz, so we saved on shipping and they were only $4.79 for 50 ($19.16 total, which is less than 1/2 the price of the ones in the picture!). Lesson learned: Internet isn't always cheaper!

I would have been totally fine just serving our little candies in the cup. But one night I actually dreamed about the favors (ugh, I'm clearly way too wedding-obsessed) and envisioned them with one of the pom-poms on top! So, with a few packages of tissue paper and some floral wire, we have these little babies:


I think I like the orange one better since it's a little bigger, but I was still experimenting with the size at this point. I settled on five pieces of tissue, approximately 3" x 5". If you want to make them yourself, be sure to check out Martha's online tutorial.

I used cheap-o green floral wire (none of this silly cloth-covered floral wire!), and I left a little stem (about 3/4 of the depth of the shot glass) so they can be planted into the candy (kind of like a real flower!).

Overall, I'm really happy with the results! Now I'll just have to get a big Tupperware bin to store 200 of these!

Ciao,

1 comment:

holly-lynn said...

they look great! really unique!!